Skaftafell winter wonderland 5-hour hike
- Explore hidden areas of the glacier
- Learn about the mysterious nature and geology of Iceland
- An unforgettable experience
Your adventure will begin at the meeting point at Skaftafell Terminal where you will meet your highly qualified and friendly glacier hiking guide. They will give a short safety briefing and provide you with all of the equipment necessary for your hiking adventure, including helmets, crampons, harness, and ice axes.
After a short ride, you’ll immerse yourself in the glacier and begin a short hike to the ice cap. Once there, your guide will explain how to get geared up and what the safest practices to walk on a glacial surface. Once you have your crampons and all necessary equipment on it’s time to take to the ice and begin this once-in-a-lifetime adventure.
As you get into the glacier outlet, the majestic features of the natural world will amaze you. Falljökull is a glacial tongue from Vatnajökull, Europe’s largest glacier with its name translating to “The falling glacier”. The icefall in the area is unique on earth and the further you get, the more it will blow your mind. The out-worldly scenery is comprised of the ice formations in the area: deep crevasses, pale moulins, and even ice sculptures.
The further you continue exploring, the more beautiful the view will get. Since you're going to be so high up, you will be able to observe panoramas over Skaftafell National Park, which has gained fame in the last years for being the location for many films and shows. During your expedition, your glacier guide will let you know how glaciers are formed and what are the dangers. You will also learn about the consequences of global warming and their future.
- Certified Glacier Guide
- Small Group (10 people max)
- Glacier Equipment: helmet, harness, crampons, and ice axe
- Hiking boots (available for rent on location)
- Warm clothes (first layer)
- Waterproof clothing (second layer)
- Gloves and hat
Skaftafellsvegur, 785 Skaftafell
The meeting point is Skaftafell Terminal by the main road. You can look up “Skaftafell Terminal” on Google Maps to find the exact location and driving directions.
- This tour is suitable for both single travelers and families
- The minimum age for participation is 12 years
- Jeans are not recommended for glacier activities. Once denim gets wet it spreads moisture and takes a long time to dry, leaving the wearer cold
- The tour operates daily at 10.30am and 2.30pm
Have you ever wanted to spot one of those amazing dancing lights in the sky, the famous Aurora Borea...
While visiting Iceland, don't miss a tour of the famous Golden Circle route and its natural and hist...
Have you always wanted to see whales in their natural environment? What about some playful white-bea...
This tour takes you to the most beautiful places at the south coast of Iceland. See the unforgettabl...
Add some flavour of Icelandic culture to your Reykjavík visit and taste the craft beers of the micro...
Landmannalaugar is known for its natural geothermal hot springs and stunning surrounding landscape. ...