The Bode Museum, first inaugurated in 1904 with the name of the Kaiser Friedrich-Museum in honor of the emperor Friedrich the III, was given the name it now holds in 1956, in honor of its first curator known for his creative exhibitions, mixing the pieces and historical periods, creating displays by using his own themes.
The building was designed by Ernst von Ihne and appears to be emerging directly from the Spree River. It was greatly damaged during the war and restoring it back to its original beauty took many years. A serious renovation started in 1997 and continued well into the new millennium.
Today the museum’s sculpture collection features great pieces of art from the Christian Orient, sculptures and pieces from the Middle Ages, art from the Italian Gothic era and the early Renaissance, just to name a few of the museum’s featured displays.
A Numismatic collection was opened to the public in 2004, on the 100th anniversary of the museum’s inauguration, and is to this day one of the world’s biggest and best known coin collections.