Sidewalks of NY offers irresistible New York Food Tours in the cultural hotspot of the Lower East Side. Join us as we explore what was once an immigrant and working-class neighborhood rich in ethnic diversity and culture. Learn about the history of the tenement buildings occupied by the poor. The neighborhood is best known for having once been a center of Jewish culture. We will view historic synagogues as well as "nosh" on delicacies from the best "kosher style" delis and bakeries in the city.
On this 3 hour tour of the Lower East Side, we eat our way through the streets as we sample delicacies from New York's premier appetizing shop, ethnic eateries, and "mom and pop" restaurants, including:
- Mouthwatering food from century-old authentic Jewish delis and bakeries
- Explore the Lower East Side's historic tenement buildings and synagogues
- Visit an old-fashioned candy store serving the neighborhood since 1937
- Taste a tres leches and blackout cake doughnut from award winner Doughnut Plant NYC
- Learn about the culture and history of the neighborhood and its gentrification
- Check out the funky mix of trendy boutiques, mom-and-pop shops, and cozy cafes
Flavorful food specialties are served from: (subject to change):
- Yonah Schimmel’s Knish Bakery - (Est. 1910)
- Russ & Daughter’s - NYC’s premier appetizing shop (Est. 1914)
- Katz’s Delicatessen - The best delicatessen in New York (Est. 1888)
- Kossar's Bialys - The oldest bialy bakery in the United States (Est. 1936)
- The Pickle Guys - Pickles made the old-fashioned way. Try a new, half sour or full sour pickle. Pucker up!(Est. 2002)
- Doughnut Plant - Unique flavors and a mouthwatering family recipe (Est. 1994)
- North Dumpling - Authentic handmade northern Chinese dumplings
- Economy Candy - Stocking all types of candy, nuts & dried fruit from floor-to-ceiling. "Noshers' paradise of the Lower East Side." (Est. 1937)
Behind every great food establishment in this city there is an equally great story of history, tradition and even innovation. On our food tours in New York City, you’ll discover these amazing histories while tasting what has made these eateries so prized among locals.
About Sidewalk Tours...
The story behind Sidewalks of NY Tours began a decade ago, when it's founder, J.D. Hirsch started taking friends and family on walking tours of the city he loves. His biggest motivation was to make sure his guests experienced The TRUE New York. Through years of exploration, he had discovered the secret hideaways, and hidden gems that make New York unlike any other city in the world. He combed the streets, tasting authentic ethnic cuisines and culinary delights not found in any guide books. His lengthy walking adventures took him to dinky mom-and-pop specialty food shops, and ethnic eateries, which have stood the test of time. He began compiling a best of list in search of the best delicatessens, bagel and knish shops, coffee houses, bakeries, candy stores, hamburger joints, pizzerias, and so much more. A friend, who was visiting from out of town, noticed J.D.'s passion and enthusiasm showing people his discoveries, and suggested he start a walking tour business. And the rest, as they say, is history. Our mission at Sidewalks of NY Tours is to give exceptional walking tours of New York, so our customers will revisit these neighborhoods with confidence, and enjoy the various cultural options they provide. Our creative and fun itineraries, and friendly and knowledgeable tour guides are committed to making your tour the highlight of your stay in The Big Apple. Let us guide you on a journey to discover The True New York! Bon voyage!