As the people begin to jostle in front of Buckingham Palace to watch the Changing of the Guard, this tour will take you away from the crowds and over to St. James Palace to witness the guards preparing to make their famous march. Believe it or not, it’s not all for show; these are real soldiers with real weapons carrying out their daily duty of protecting the Palace. Your guide will talk about what their duties include and the significance of their highly-symbolic uniforms. As they leave, you'll march alongside them (no, you don’t get to wear a hat), then head over to a special vantage point near the Wellington Barracks, home to all the Foot Guard’s Bands, that lets you get as close as possible to the action. Next, you'll stroll across St. James’s Park and learn about the history of this royal green space which is among the most famous of the green spaces that cover nearly 47% of greater London. Arriving at the Horse Guards Parade, you'll watch the equally-impressive, but often overlooked Changing of the Queen’s Life Guard, which features mounted, armor-clad soldiers and their immaculately groomed steeds.
History & heritage tours
March with the Guards: Changing of the Guard ceremonies and Buckingham Palace
Availability: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Sundays
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Mobile voucher accepted
Do this because
- See two separate Changing of the Guards Ceremonies (one with horses!) from 4 different vantage points that let you get as close as possible to the action
- Walk alongside the Queen's Life Guard as they cross the park
- Tour St. James's Park with stops at Buckingham Palace and St. James Palace
What to expect
- Guided walking tour
- Expert guide
What's not included
- Hotel pick-up or drop-off
- Infants (up to 3 years old): Free
Spur Rd, London SW1A 2BJ, UK
Please meet your guide at the top of the steps of the Victoria Memorial in front of Buckingham Palace.
What to remember
- Gratuities to guides are appreciated but never obligatory
- Please note that you must arrive 10 minutes before your tour departs
- If you wish to cancel your booking, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 72-hours before your chosen tour time
- This tour runs on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays
- It departs at 9.45am and lasts for 90 minutes
- The meeting time is 9.35am
Walks LLC - London
Good news! No extra fees are applied to this booking.
Receive a 100 % refund if you cancel up to 72 hours before the activity begins.