Join this San Francisco North Beach Food Tour to explore the Italian restaurant scene and former Barbary Coast – known as the most notorious neighborhood in America during the Gold Rush! Visit the Hidden Tunnels where booze was smuggled in up through Prohibition, and get an exclusive peek at the traditional Italian culture. Eat and drink through this cultural neighborhood!
This 4-course progressive prix-fixe dining experience visits 4 restaurants – two appetizers, one entree, and one dessert, with a sprinkling of culinary history and stories in between. The North Beach Food Tour focuses on quality over quantity. Like a great sushi meal, the goal is to have you sample the highest quality ingredients – small dishes with huge flavor.
Possible tastings (each tour includes 4):
- Famous tomato based seafood stew cioppino invented in San Francisco by Italian Fisherman
- Croquettes in an alleyway trendy cocktail den featured in the New York Times
- Signature pork sliders in historic former Purple Onion Comedy Club where Phyllis Diller, The Kingston Trio, The Smothers Brothers and Maya Angelou got their start
- Taste delicious deviled egg and huckleberry fritter at award-winning Tavern in the historic Moose’s Restaurant
- Handmade kale chips and vegan sampler at Bolivian music venue located in the former Amelio’s, known for hosting Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe’s wedding dinner. Meet Quentin the owner and hear how she met her husband, a two time Latin Grammy nominated musician, and fell in love before opening their food & music venue together
- Authentic Italian wood-fired pizza from the oldest pizza oven on the West Coast – Voted No. 3 Best Pizza in the US according to People Magazine’s Pizza Search
- Hearty and cheesy arancini at old-time historical Italian red sauce restaurant, a North Beach neighborhood hotspot
- Hand-filled authentic cannoli at a historic Italian bookshop turned cafe
- A trio of Gelato tastes featuring partnerships with local food purveyors – TCHO Chocolate, St. George Spirits, Numi Tea and Fiddyment Farm Pistachios