Meet your guide on Ponte Sant’ Angelo, formerly known as the “Aelian Bridge” or “Pons Aelius.” Built in 134 AD by Emperor Hadrian, the bridge spans the river Tiber from the city center to his mausoleum in Castel Sant'Angelo. Admire sculptures of angels by Bernini, Raggi and Morelli, before skipping the ticket lines to see Hadrian’s tomb. Feast your eyes on the frescoes, Papal apartments and magnificent corridors of the castle. Experience the fear of former prisoners as you learn about the castle’s time as a prison. Follow in the footsteps of former popes as you walk the Passetto di Borgo and learn how they would escape death threats from their opponents. Your guide will explain the dark connections between the castle and Vatican State. The tour finishes on with unbeatable panoramic views from the top of the castle looking untoward the Colosseum, Vatican, Pantheon.
Castel Sant'Angelo "Angels and Demons" experience
- Visit Castel Sant' Angelo with an expert guide
- Find out more about the different events that took place in the castle
- Admire the best views of the city from the castle's panoramic terrace
- Skip-the-line entrance ticket to Castel Sant'Angelo
- Guided tour
- Pick up and drop-off service
- Food and drinks
- Child (5-17 years old): reduced
- Infant (0-4 years old): reduced
Piazza di Ponte S. Angelo, 68, 00186 Rome, Italy
Your guide will be waiting for you holding a 'Carpe Diem Rome' sign
- Please arrive at the meeting point at least 15 minutes before the beginning of the tour
- It is suggested to wear comfortable walking shoes and to bring a bottle of water with you
- Only small bags are allowed inside Castel Sant'Angelo. Prohibited items include scissors, pocket knives, aerosols and liquids, even if less than 100ml (except for water)
Every day at 11.00am and 5.00pm
The best way to visit Rome and its sights is to join this 3.5-hour group guided walking tour. Visit ...
Admire the sunset over the rooftops of Rome and enjoy the romantic atmosphere of Rome on this 3-hour...
Discover the masterpieces of Rome on this tour of the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter'...
Be welcomed by your licensed guide at the Bath of Caracalla, where your small group tour will start....
Take part in an amazing 3-hour guided tour inside Villa Farnesina, where the architectural design an...
Explore the local market and the historic food shops of Rome and buy the best seasonal ingredients f...