Caving tour in Budapest
- Go for an underground adventure and discover Budapest’s natural caves
- Experience a unique and fun tour
- Learn about the interesting geological history of the region
Hungary’s capital, Budapest, is famous for its hot springs. Many people visit Hungary’s famous thermal baths, but only a few know that the hot water rushing up from deep underground created something else too. In the limestone mountains under Budapest, the heated water formed a huge cave system which is thought to be more than 100 km long. The spas and caves of Budapest are planned to be declared part of the UNESCO World Heritage. The longest cave of Budapest is the 20,1 km long Pál-völgyi-Mátyás-hegyi cave system located in the Duna-Ipoly National Park. It is a real multi-level labyrinth system with most of its chambers under the residential districts of Budapest.
If you aren’t claustrophobic you can apply for our regularly scheduled cave tours which are guided by qualified caving guides. During the 2.5-3 hrs long tours you will often have to climb on walls and crawl through narrow passages so you have to be prepared for adventure.
The tours lead through natural parts of the cave, with the supervision of professional caving guides. All the necessary equipment: overall, helmet and light, will be provided. You can change your clothes in changing rooms. Though one has to crawl, climb, scramble or creep many times during the tour, no previous experience in caving is needed.
The tour guides are qualified members of the Hungarian Caving Association.
- Caving entry fee
- Professional caving guide for the tour
- Use of helmet and lamp
- Use of overall suit
- Transport to and from the meeting point
- Food or drink (available at extra cost)
Students with a valid student ID: reduced price
Budapest, Szépvölgyi út 162, 1025 Hungary
Your guide awaits you at the Pál-völgyi Caves, Szépvölgyi street 162, 1025 Budapest,
- Due to insurance reasons this tour is not suitable for guests under the age of 14 and over the age of 55. Guests under or over this age limit will be refused to participate on the tour with no refunds
- Each participant must wear suitable, closed-toe sports shoes for this tour: flip flops, high heels and sandals are not suitable and guests will forfeit their participations without refund
- Guests must sign a waiver form to participate on this tour. Parents/guardians must sign liability and waiver forms for any participants under the age of 18 years
- Guest should dress for 16-18°C and have a warm pullover. Caving overalls are provided on this tour
- Not responsible for accidents on the tour. Tour guides are qualified members of the Hungarian caving association. Participants must be physically fit for climbing and crawling for 2 hours
- All year around
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 3.30pm
- Tuesday and Thursday 10.30am
- Saturday at 2.30pm
Visit the illuminated ‘Paris of the East’ and spend a memorable evening in a traditional Hungarian r...
Being the city with the largest active Jewish community of Central Europe, Budapest has much to show...
Dive into the nightlife of Budapest in a fascinating way, on board of a river cruise by night that t...
With its 21 pools, Széchenyi Spa is the largest thermal bath complex in Budapest and one of the larg...
“Paris of the East” is one of the most famous sentences used when describing Budapest at night. The ...
St. Stephen's Basilica is one of the most beautiful neo-classical buildings of Budapest. Experience ...