What comes to your mind when you think of Berlin?That’s right, it’s the Berlin Wall! The remains of the famous wall tell visitors around the world incredible stories and give great insights into the past. Who know them best? Your local guide! Take a bike trip to Berlin’s past as you learn more about its history from your local guide at your own pace.
In this Withlocals Originals Bike Tour the local of your choice brings you the the main historical spots of the city, while sharing with you stories from Berlin’s harsh history. es. Get to know real stories about how East and West were divided but also how life used to go on in those days.
Begin your journey at the famous Tunnel 29, now a regular subway stop, where you’ll listen to the story of the 29 Berliners who escaped to West Berlin in 1962. Bike past the places that East Berliners tried to use to escape. You’ll get to the Nordbahnhof, known as the Ghost Station, to the once terrifying Kieler Eck command tower and the unique family home right at the past border of West and East Berlin.
Is there more? Yes, there is! See popular highlights like the Holocaust Memorial and the Brandenburg Gate while getting great insights only known by locals. Have a stop in a cosy local cafe for the best special made Currywurst: see how it's prepared by the owner itself!
This is the plan:
- Stop 1 - Alexa building at Alexanderplatz - let's meet up and go at a very close shop to take our bikes
- Stop 2 - Tunnel 29 - Hear the story of the dramatic events of 1962, when 29 people managed to escape to West Berlin
- Stop 3 - Nordbahnhof - learn about the "ghost station" and its secrets
- Stop 4 - Wachturm Kieler Eck - find out about the East's anti-escape strategies
- Stop 5 - Reichstag - admire the impressive architecture of this imposing building
- Stop 6 - Brandenburger Tor - one of Berlin's most important monuments – a landmark and symbol all in one with over two hundred years of history
- Stop 7 - Holocaust memorial - get a glimpse of history and its remaining symbols
- Stop 8 - Potsdamer Platz - find out everything about the Topography of Terror monument
- Stop 9 - Typisch Berlin - taste one of the best currywurst in town, and get ready for more awesome stories!
- Stop 10 - Checkpoint Charlie - see the best-known border crossing between East and West Berlin during the Cold War
- Stop 11 - Balanceakt - a metaphor sculpture in memory of Axel Springer and his longstanding hope for German reunification.
- Stop 12 - Baumhaus an der Mauer - an unconventional, authentic, household, with an amazing story!